Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Linux firewall options

From: "O'Shea, Dave" <dave.oshea () wilcom com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:27:57 -0600

A couple good places to start are Red Hat's site (www.redhat.com) as well as
my favorite "wads 'o' software" site, (www.freshmeat.net). That'll at least
give you a good idea of what's out and what's changing.

One of the drawbacks to Linux right now is the lack of a real NAT (network
address translation) module. There are two efforts ongoing that have had
some success, but for my money, I'd wait until the 2.4 kernel is out with
stable, built-in code.

As an example of a firewall supporting a moderate-size office, a box with
three interfaces (inside, outside, DMZ) can work well. Ipchains supports all
your rulesets and address masquerading (users inside are on RFC1918
addresses) and the DMZ gets a pool of "real" addresses. Squid provides a
good access logging (and filtering, if needed) tool.

I like hiding internal DNS data from the outside world, so a firewall is a
good place to put a stripped-down name service that only references your web
server, mail server, and name servers.

Last, many organizations that are using Exchange could take advantage of a
stripped-down Sendmail gateway to at least block spam relaying, and isolate
the corporate mail database from actual Internet contact.

Dave O'Shea
Manager, Service Development - National Technical Resource Center
Williams Communications Solutions
713-307-6760(v) 713-307-6046(f) dave.oshea () wilcom com
"Do I look like a spokesman?"