Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 throughput question

From: Aaron Turner <aturner () vicinity com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

People who know more than I tell me so.  :)  I think I found it
mentioned once on SunSolve as well, but damned if I can remember where.

Let me be clear here though.  If you're doing a lot of host (like a ftp
server) traffic, then yes, multiple CPU's will help you.  That does not
hit the routing "engine" of the Solaris kernel.  However in a firewall
application like FW-1, it does route packets between interfaces, which
would incurr the scaleablity hit.

--
Aaron Turner        aturner () vicinity com  650.237.0300 x252
Security Engineer                         Vicinity Corp.