Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Killing Napster and beyond...

From: "Harris, Tim" <tharris () ocair com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:53:23 -0700

This is essentially just like many of the other problems we face as
network/firewall/infrastructure administrators/designers/etc.

There are two people (or groups) with goals that are fundamentally in
conflict and are utterly incompatible with each other.  There is no pure
technological solution nor is there a purely procedural solution.  If either
extreme prevails then the loser will search for a way around the solution.

Given the current limitations we have to live with, whether they be
technology, policy or finances, the only possible solution is going to have
to be a compromise between the opposing groups.  A "people" solution
bolstered by technology and backed by some meaningful penalties should
either group break the agreement.  Naturally, this solution will be
different for every organization but we do the best we can, don't we?

That, of course brings us around to why this thread is on "Firewall-wizards"
in the first place:  What are the technological mechanisms for preventing
these applications?

See Christopher's post for a very brief list of some of the possibilities.