Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OK, of all the security conferences out there....

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:33:15 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

I figure that as usual the answer is: "it depends" ;)

There are 6 conferences I think I've attended fairly regularly:
SANS
USENIX
Interop
CSI
TISC
Black Hat/DEFCON

Each has its own unique character and tone, and, depending on what
you want to come away with, will have different value for the attendee.
At the risk of p*ssing off the conference organizers, most of whom are
friends of mine, I'd break it down as:

I think Marcus hit it on the head, no one conference is better then
the other.  Each has its unique characterstics.  I also think Marcus
does an excellent job of describing them all.  The only one I would
disagree on is CSI, I found it to be more basic, at the beginner level.

The one Con that Marcus that did not mention, and that I am a BIG
fan of, is CanSecWest (www.cansecwest.com), thrown by Dragos Ruiu
in Vancouver, Canada.  Next May will be his third Conference.  I would
describe CanSecWest as a high-end, advance Defcon.  It has the underground
feel of Defcon, but has a great line up of speakers and some of the best
sushi at any con.  It costs $900-1000 to attend, but I find it to be
truly cutting edge.  What I like about the speaker lineup is its half
underground, half whitehats presenting, so you get a great mix.  Its
also smaller then most cons, last year was around 200+ attendees, so
you have a more intimate feel.

lance