Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OK, of all the security conferences out there....

From: Tina Bird <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:39:26 -0600 (CST)

[Disclosure: I teach regularly for USENIX and occasionally
for SANS.]  USENIX, SANS, and BlackHat/DefCon are the three
most technical conferences, and I agree with the way that
mjr describes them in his message.

USENIX and SANS are, for the most part, focussed on helping
system and network administrators run their systems in a
more secure, more efficient fashion.  My main gripe with
BlackHat/DefCon, aside from the fashion show aspect, is
that it's almost entirely focussed on all the ways that
security is broken.  There's very little on how to improve
things.  If I was a newbie administrator and I went to
BlackHat first, I'd be very discouraged.

tbird

Log Analysis: http://www.counterpane.com/log-analysis.html
VPN:  http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html