Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Problems multi-ip'ing NT

From: "Carl Friedberg" <friedberg () exs esb com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:11:17 -0500

I seem to remember something about this from the distant past (I'm
running mostly w2k now).

Has to do with how the MS TCPIP stack responds to incoming traffic.
IIRC, it always responds from the 1st IP, no matter which of the
addresses the incoming pack went into..

I think you need some RARP to make this work. Not sure.

A better way is at the router. Add a route for each of those alias IP
addresses to the real (single) IP address on the external FW-1 NIC. I
know that works with FW-1 and nt 4 sp6a.

BTW: why don't you ask Checkpoint to supply you with the list of
mandatory service pack and hot fixes for FW-1/SP3 running on nt 4.0. If
they respond (other than sp5 with no hotfixes) plase post it here.
Inquiring minds and all that.

Carl Friedberg
carl () comets com