Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FBI's internal IT security

From: Rama Kant <kant () adeptech com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:26:58 -0500

I think the recent FBI's mole case has lessons for us as well. We have been preaching log, log, log..., but auditing of logged information is still rare. Had FBI been auditing its logs, IMHO, they could have caught HANSSEN back in 1997/1998 when he began searching the Automated Case Support System for keywords related to his activities (Page 87 of FBI's Affidavit).

HANSSEN a "Computer Wiz Kid"? Obviously, not a very effective one. Hacking 101 - disable logging and cover your tracks. From a covert perspective he should have disabled logging of his usage of the ACSS. I guess he knew that logs are not audited at the FBI.

Rama Kant