Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Layer 4 switch vs. firewall

From: "istong" <istong () zuniversity com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:12:06 -0500

I'm curious what you mean when you say that if you are physically present
you can get around vlan'd switches.   I've always thought vlans were secure.
I.E.  traffic from one vlan cannot get to another vlan.  As for physical
security there are several options depending on your make of equipment to
secure it.

For example I routinely disable ports that are not used - to prevent someone
from just plugging in and gaining access to the network.   Additionally I
set the port to dynamically learn the mac address of devices.  Once learned
if you try to connect a different device to that port - the port disables
itself.

Are there other aspects relating to VLAN's and security that come to mind?

Ian