Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Management

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:24:10 +0800

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:55:00AM -0500, bparis () sorrentolactalis com wrote:
      Recently we've been experiencing "congestion" of our internet pipe.
We've tried restricting various thing like Napster, Gnutella and the like
with varying degrees of success, but as more and more users come onto our
LAN/WAN we've noticed our performance decreasing. Rather than manage this at
our firewall (with many many rules), I'd like to know how you manage your
traffic. What do you use?

Various people will suggest looking into traffic shaping etc.

I'll also suggest you look into a traffic accounting/billing system. ;-)

Just tot up the utilisation and most visited URLs, publish high-score
tables, and see the usage dip. (Hopefully.)

If your traffic is all legit, you'll just have to upgrade.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () post1 com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps