Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Air gap technologies

From: Bill Stout <Bill.Stout () AristaSoft com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:05:03 -0800

There is an air-gap of varying widths between the heads flying over a
magnetic substrate, of wireless LANs or WANs, and satellite communcation.
LAN/WAN cards, hubs and switches often use transformers to isolate
electrical conductivity (such as in CSUs) to protect internal circuitry from
external current (preventing ground current flow between different phases or
circuits).  Just because some Shipley guy is separated from from your
network via a large air-gap, (e.g.; Ricochet modem) it does not mean you're
any safer.

Since air-gaps exist in standard physical communciations media, air-gaps
won't provide any difference in network security.  I believe this logic
nixes the 'Air-gap' phrase as providing any true or theoretical security
advantage.

So ignoring the air-gap 'technology', I'm interested to hear from the list
what percieved and real security advantages Whale products provide over
standard proxy-based firewalls.

Bill Stout
Chief Architect
Aristasoft, Inc