Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Basic hardware setup

From: "Stuart Clark" <sclark () spacelink com au>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:06:02 +1000

Hi,

I'm setting up a firewall linux box.

I have
a cisco 3620 going to the backbone
servers web,email etc
a lan
dial up customers connected to a ascend Max 6000 NAS

I realise i need in my firewall
1 ethernet card to connect to my cisco
1 ethernet card to connect to my servers (10.0.0.1)
1 ethernet card to connect to my lan (192.168.0.1)

QUESTIONS
1 ) What is the best hardware way to get my dialup user traffic through the
firewall as well? Do i need to add another ethernet card?
2) If I need another ethernet card do i make the subnet from the cisco to
the firewall different to the subnet from my users to the firewall?

Regards
Stuart Clark

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                           -- Bill Gates, 1981
"Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM."
                           -- Bill Gates, 1996
"Nobody will ever need Windows 95."