Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: handy list of undesireble foreign networks

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:20:45 +0400

nuqneH,

- From my expirience there is no such thing as uncooperative nations - there
are uncooperative organizations all around the world and that does matter.

There is major problem with some asian companies including ISPs who do not have abuse service that have english skills
good enough to communicate and this seem
to be most annoying. But there are really few who are not _willing_ to cooperate.
Could you please name at least _one_ _country_ that causes trouble on the net?

Tony Miedaner <miedaner () twcny rr com> said :

Hostile and uncooperative nations probably should be filtered as they could become a
haven for hackers (and probably are) for whatever reasons - I think this does reduce
the threat in a way.  At a minimum it would be useful to identify these networks on
an IDS system, IMHO.

Going out on a limb here you could argue that countries where there could be no
cooperation in pursuing computer criminals should be blocked.  It would be far safer
for a US based person to launch a US directed attack from a machine in a foreign
country that is hostile to the US.

There is another side to this I suppose in that the size and fragmentation of the
networks may make such a list impossible to implement except possibly in an IDS
system.