Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Any Firewalls work well with PPPoE?

From: "Whitlock, Teresa" <Teresa.Whitlock () dionex com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:07:20 -0700

Peter,

With PPPoE either the user can't connect at all or they can connect and ping
anyone inside the firewall, but they cannot use any applications.  Either
they hang the system or they simply do not run.  If the user tries dialup
with the tunnel it works just fine.  My understanding is that it can be
caused by a problem with MTU sizes, but changing that doesn't always work.

I'm not sure what Nexland does that is different, but as I said, we have had
some luck using their devices on the client end.

Since it seems like PPPoE is likely to stay around, I would like to find a
solution that doesn't take a lot of configuration on the client end (my
remote users have a wide range of computer skills and some of them simply
are not capable of complex setups).