Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:20:24 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, John Adams wrote:

Basically, you profile all your email and make a whitelist (I have a
script that does this, ask for it if you need it), and then install the
auto confirm code.

If people mail you and they're on the whitelist or confirmed list, they're
allowed in. If not, they get a confirmation message which they must reply
to. Replying to the confirmation message processes their old message and
adds their name to your 'confirmed' list.

What do you do about mailing lists?  If we have someone running an
autoresponder on our lists, they get dropped.  Do you let those through,
with the (fairly safe) assumption that the moderator will get rid of the
spam?

                                        Ryan