Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Wireless

From: kadokev () msg net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:25:05 -0500 (CDT)

Regarding the use of Unique MAC (OUI) addresses for WiFi APs, I've
also seen some false positives in the address ranges listed for 3Com,
as seen in  APTools:

        http://aptools.sourceforge.net/

Currently Kirby Kuehl is the only admin/developer listed for the project.

Here is a link to my starter list.  I have found a few false positives on
the Lucent and Compaq OUI, but for the most part, seems like a reasonable
starter list.

http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-May/000961.html

The BAWUG thread is less complete than the APTools list, but includes a
very important link -- the canonical list of _all_ OUI assignments:

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
(Warning! 'oui.txt' is a very large file!)

I'd love to see a master list of OUI's and NMAP fingerprints for all known
wireless access point products.  Perhaps the APTools CVS on SourceForge
could provide a central location for such a list?

Kevin Kadow