Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Wireless

From: Roger Marquis <marquis () roble com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

I've found that the el-cheapo stuff (Linksys and SMC, haven't used any =
D-Link but suspect it comes from the same, or similar manufacturer) just =
is not reliable enough.

I also found this out the hard way.  Orinoco and Cisco are the
right tools for all but the simplest 802.11b networks.

(1) all forms of WEP have been cracked; and the software to do that is =
easily available;

The only secure way to insure against AirSnort and other packet
sniffers is with a 3DES or better VPN.  Any business that requires
security simply must restrict their WAP links to a VPN concentrator
and not allow split-horizon clients or IP forwarding.

(2) WiFi is radio, so 802.11a has higher bandwidth and shorter range =
than 802.11b. 802.11b can/will interfer with other devices on the same =
frequence band

For which there are several antenna options available.  Fleeman,
Anderson & Bird's Orinoco to N-Male Adapter (www.fab-corp.com)
comes in very handy when you need a few more decibels.

See also:
        http://www.wispa.org/
        http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1422/byt20010926s0002/1001_marshall.html
        http://www.netstumbler.com/