Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:05:26 +0400

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> said :

It's time to realize that there are things that are unknown to white hat
community and a security expert should _predict risks_ instead of using
traditional these days model "there is a bug recently discovered,

Oh, COME OFF IT!!       We've known THAT for EVER.

_We_ did. _THEY_ should be forced into that. The method is no good, but
others did not work :(

It's only the desperate vendors and security newbies who subscribe
to trivial penetrate-and-patch schemes. I've been known to advocate
penetrate-and-patch-real-fast as an alternative to penetrate-and-patch-in-user-time
but only out of frustrated desperation. Because the more obvious alternatives
aren't happening due primarily to market pressures and cluelessness.

You said that. Aren't happening :(

[dd]

So, please don't say "people need to get out of 'penetrate and patch'" when
lots of us have been saying ALL ALONG that it's a bad idea. :) The fact
that a huge number of people and organizations continue to do security
design wrong is not because nobody knows how - unless you cound willful
ignorance.

So they need a visual demonstration of the fact good design is _required_ and
its absense cannot be compensated with pach-real-fast methods. Looks like they
really do not want to know unless someone will force them. Yes, willful
ignorance, you're right.

 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!