Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:29:47 -0400

But seriously, I think a security expert owes it to the
clients to follow the same guidelines s/he's touting.
Otherwise you lose touch with the impact on the user of what
you're prescribing.

That's often impossible for any security practitioner of any experience.
For that to be true in all cases, the clients of our fictional
consultant would have to be of very similar size, scope, focus, and
security budget as our consultant's company. It's simply not
conceivable.

A security consultant can be very effective in advising a Fortune 500
company how to secure their data center within their budget and desires
without having to a Fortune 500 themselves...

Note: Comments are my own, not my companies... Yadda... Yadda...

Andrew J. Kalat,                | Direct:(404)236-2713
                                  | Main:  (404)236-2600
Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail: akalat () iss net
6303 Barfield Road                | <http://www.iss.net/>
Atlanta, GA 30328                         | PGP key available.