Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Whitepaper: a closer look on what goes on behind the scene during the setup of a IPSec remote access VPN

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 16:03:37 -0500

Christopher,

I think you've done an admirable job of presenting IPsec as it could be used for remote access connectivity and based on my limited knowledge a good job covering how Check Point may use IPsec to establish a client connection. It's very good work. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that all IPsec implementations work this way after looking at only one commercial vendors product. I suggest you should address that in your title.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective of where this breaks down. What are the most common causes for connections to not establish or to fail? It would be especially interesting to look at that given your study of the RFCs. An often asked question when things break: Is it the vendors implementation or something not covered in the RFC.

You may want to look at the work done by (and perhaps talk to) the folks at ICSA Labs (http://www.icsalabs.com), as they offer an IPsec Interoperability program that many vendors subscribe to in order to test their products conformance to the RFCs and ability interoperate with other vendors implementations. There are people from the Labs on this list.

Good job.

Liberty for All,

Brian