Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Whitepaper: a closer look on what goes on behind the scene during the setup of a IPSec remote access VPN

From: Christopher Lee <complexity () bigfoot com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:22:28 -0500

Brian,

Thank you for your very kind words.  Well, RFC 2408 basically dictates how
vendors (should) implment their technologies, but as you could tell, more and
more vendors starting to blend in their own "enhancements" to it so that kinda
defeats the purpose of the "Standard".

I am fairly confident that, apart from the "Transaction Config mode" exchange,
ISAKMP should behave pretty much the same way for any "shared-secret" based
remote access VPN implmentation.  This conclusion come as the result of knowing
I could use non-CheckPoint VPN clients (PGPnet, IRE client and etc) to talk to
CheckPoint VPN gateways, and CheckPoint gateways' ability to integrate with
other vendors' VPN gateways (as long as the other vendors offers full tunning
abilities on the parameters for phase I and phase II exchanges, since their
default parameters are always slightly different).

From my experiences, most of the VPN problems (between vendors) comes from the
ability to have both of them talking on the same parameters.  Most vendors has
come a long way to make themselves more compatible with the RFCs specs
(comparing what it was in '97-'99).  The most problems I have encountered are
mostly to do with the SA parameters (mostly the default life of the keys).  I
mean, every vendors now support the encryption algorithm of DES/3DES, and the
hasking algorithm of MD5/SHA-1, but it's often the refresh interval is what
messes things up.  The symptons are often "The VPN tunnel is up for a while and
then breaks down for no reason, then comes up again with any intervention"...

I don't know if I am going to add in discussions about too much vendor specific
troubleshooting details.  That work has already been very well done on serveral
firewall/vpn mailling lists, and it would be silly for me trying to replicate
their efforts (which took years, and the inputs of many subject experts in
their respective fields).  My white paper was geared to fill in the gap between
FAQs from the VPN mailing list (which is very generic and high level), the
vendor's own support knowledge base (which focus more on their own prodcut
instead of the technology) and the RFC (too much technology and too dry).

Yes, if there are any folks on the list that could give me (access) to
information that I have already found, I would be more than happy to update the
white paper with it (and, of course, be greately appreciate by yours truely).
After all, this white paper starts as my personal quest to make clear about
this widely used, but often mis-undestood technology.

Regards,

Christopher Lee
PGP Fingerprint: 15C1 65D0 E051 C64D 5246  89FC 5AE3 DE2C 8F1E 89A7
Personal Web Page: http://complexity.webhop.net

Quoting Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>:

Christopher,

I think you've done an admirable job of presenting IPsec as it could be
used for remote access connectivity and based on my limited knowledge a
good job covering how Check Point may use IPsec to establish a client
connection.  It's very good work.  I think it's a bit of a stretch to say
that all IPsec implementations work this way after looking at only one
commercial vendors product.  I suggest you should address that in your
title.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective of where this breaks
down.  What are the most common causes for connections to not establish or
to fail?  It would be especially interesting to look at that given your
study of the RFCs.  An often asked question when things break: Is it the
vendors implementation or something not covered in the RFC.

You may want to look at the work done by (and perhaps talk to) the folks at

ICSA Labs (http://www.icsalabs.com), as they  offer an IPsec
Interoperability program that many vendors subscribe to in order to test
their products conformance to the RFCs and ability interoperate with other
vendors implementations.   There are people from the Labs on this list.

Good job.

Liberty for All,

Brian