Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:26:27 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from R. DuFresne, sie wrote:

Darren,

theres a kid in Indai that just achineved a milestone in the CISSP camp,
being the youngest ever to get the certification, and already having the
required 3 years experince on the job, he was either 14 or 16 I believe,
and if I do recall correctly was 14.  So folks are I guess in some places
in fact paying for this skilled workforce!

So his parents haven't been sending him to school.  It would appear to be
a case of forsaking a regular education for one which earns money, yes ?
The article never went into much detail about the conflict between the
person being a high school student and having 3 years of work experience
since they were 13.  If you're at school for the normal hours of a week,
there isn't much room left for doing a 40hr week (or at least not if you
want to stay healthy).  Either that or the CISSP people aren't too strict
on what "3 years experience" means.  To me it means working a 40 hr week,
9-5, for 3 years (modulo holidays, etc).

There are all sorts of problems in the Asian region (including India, it
would seem) with "child labour".  On one extreme you have 12yr old girls
working streets, on the other you have 17yr old boys getting their CISSP.
Somewhere inbetween you have lots of kids doing many other things, which,
if those countries enforced rules about child labour, etc, wouldn't last
a second.

I can see why the CISSP was prompted to make an ethics investigation of
its own - it wouldn't want to be seen to be supporting children being
exploited for cheap labour like this (or at least I'd hope not) or by
giving this problem their rubber stamp of approval when they hand over
the certificate.

Maybe you don't think of this as a problem, but if your job became
threatened by a 16yr old who had a CISSP and was only going to charge
$5/hr (lives at home with parents, low living costs, etc), how would
you react to the situation as a whole ?  What if you increase it to say
$30 or $40/hr and then find out the parents are staying at home while
the kid supports the entire family ?  He's got a CISSP, of course, so
he must be ok and the picture is all rosey just because of that.

Darren