Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: Drew <simonis () myself com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:45:32 -0500

Frederick M Avolio wrote:

I remember years ago when a system administrator in my spare time for a
large computer vendor. We had a UUCP hookup to the world and it wasn't
working. The "assistant" spare time administrator did not have any idea
what steps to go through to decide -- was it a telephone problem? Was it a
serial cable problem? Was it a problem with the DH-11? Was it a problem on
the other computer? Etc.  Have things improved? Too many people going
through university without learning basic problem solving skills? (I can
just look for the "cheats, hints, and walk-throughs" on the Internet.)  Or
am I just in "old codger" mode?

I disagree.  Finding resources on the Internet is one of the best
skills, and often overlooked.  I don't know how many times have I
been asked a question, the answer to which I didn't know but did
find quickly on the Internet.  I'm amazed by how many people never
even bother to try to do any research. I think to use a "walk through"
you have to at least understand the what you need help with.  Most
people, IMHO, can't even isolate a problem, let alone troubleshoot it.

Personally, I got my start in the Helpdesk world, from first level
live call rep to technical team lead.  I learned troubleshooting in
a nutshell, but was able to use those concepts to diagnose more
detailed problems. I think the crux of the problem is that, with the
IT crush of the 90s, people were hired based on potential or supposed
talent.  Hell, thats how I moved from Helpdesk to Security!  But with
so many people, they never had to "cut their teeth" as it were, and
they never built a strong technical foundation.