Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Russell Van Tassell <russell () loosenut com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:02:49 -0700

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:16:33PM -0400, Bennett Todd wrote:

(1) smap/smapd don't have a perfect security track record. qmail and
    Postfix do.

 QMail:
   http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/1809 (actually cmd5checkpw)
   http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/2237

 Postfix:
   http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/3544/info/
   http://online.securityfocus.com/advisories/3722
   http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/1428/discussion/ (actually Cyrus IMAP)

Admitedly only a 30 second Google on each, and not something that
haven't been seen elsewhere... ;-)

[...]

(4) smap/smapd are _SLOW_. Orders of magnitude slower than sendmail.
    Postfix and qmail are _FAST_ --- many times faster than
    sendmail.

What about message loss?  I seem to remember at one point QMail being
rumored to suffer from that problem more-so than other mailers.  Sendmail
itself, though perhaps slow, tends to go through rather painful effort to
make sure that messages are rarely lost.

(5) smap/smapd adds complexity to a mail server. Sendmail+smap/smapd
    is about as complex as you can get. Either qmail or Postfix is
    far, far simpler than sendmail alone, let alone
    sendmail+smap/smapd. Simple is good. It works better.

Hmmm... sendmail, procmail, smrsh and smapd - along with some sort of
virus checker?  ;-)

[...]

For whatever it's worth, I personally like Postfix better. But I
wouldn't dispute with anybody who likes qmail better.

Eh... as you elude to, I think it's all a matter of 1) preference and 2)
what you know.  If it works from you and /it actually works reliably/
then, well, it's a holy war after that if you ask me...

As you said, FWIW...

Best Regards,
Russell

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell () loosenut com

 "If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." -- George Carlin