Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy and Stateful together ??

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:18:45 -0500

2002-11-16-11:05:40 Paul D. Robertson:
Might park a snort on it while I was about it, too.

Hmmm, isn't that adding a level of bloatedness that's a bit extreme?

Depends on the context. If the environment supports the investment
to have multiple boxes implementing the firewall, then this would
certainly be one of the first choices for moving off onto a separate
box. If not, I don't think the bloat is that bad; for small shops,
the performance impact isn't that bad, and the code seems (in my
experience anyway) nice and stable. It's not as tiny as it once was,
but it's still not that bloated by modern standards anyway:-).

-Bennett