Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and 802.1q trunking

From: David Pick <d.m.pick () qmul ac uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:40:12 +0000

My concern is that the "fan-out" boxes are typically run-of-the-mill
switches, like Cisco Catalysts, that probably have been design without
any security aspirations. I wouldn't be surprised if those switches
could be attacked and tricked into leaking packets between VLANs.

A valid concern. My attitude is simple:
* If the switches are secure enough to keep VLANs seperated for
normal traffic then they're secure enough to use as interfaces
to your firewall
* If they're not, well, they're not!

I would submit that secure enough to manage traffic inside your trusted
network is quite different from secure enough to define a security
boundary.

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't explicit enough in what I said. What
I should have said was that I didn't think the fact that there
was a firewall involved mattered at all here; if a switch was
judged secure enough to have *all* the VLANs involved (internal
*and* external/dangerous) connected to it (and that's another
argument about which *I*'m very conservative as well!) *then*
the fact that a firewall is connected to the switch is not
relevant; in the same way if it it judged that one group of
VLANs can share switch fabric then a firewall interconnecting
them can use a trunk link to that switch fabric with no further
loss of security.

--
        David Pick