Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and 802.1q trunking

From: "Stephen Gill" <gillsr () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:00:44 -0600

] Having just addressed this topic a while ago, I found the following
] study:

] http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/vlan.htm

] I have personally seen other brands of switches exhibit the same
behavior.  ] Overall, VLANS are a great technology, but they shouldn't
be used for
] high-risk network segments.

A couple of things to keep in mind are that this study is now over two
years old and it can be mitigated w/ proper design and config.  One
example:

http://www.qorbit.net/documents/catalyst-secure-template.pdf
http://www.qorbit.net/documents/catalyst-secure-template.htm

] > Hi everyone,
] > I'd like to solicit your opinion on the popular trend of equipping
] > firewalls with (almost) arbitrary numbers of interfaces by means of
] > VLAN trunking. Many FW vendors (including Nokia, NetScreen, and the
] > like) are going down that path.

I very much like this capability and it makes it much easier to scale.

] > My concern is that the "fan-out" boxes are typically run-of-the-mill

] > switches, like Cisco Catalysts, that probably have been design
without
] > any security aspirations. I wouldn't be surprised if those switches
] > could be attacked and tricked into leaking packets between VLANs.

You control the switches therefore you should also secure them.
Properly secured there should be no issues.

] > Are there any studies devoted to this issue, or reports of
successful
] > attacks against 802.1q separation that I should be aware of?

Only ones that can be mitigated.

] > In our environment we use firewalls with rather large numbers of
] > interfaces (typically 15 ~ 25), mostly based on Xylan switches
running
] > FW-1. This product line has disappeared now and all alternative
] > solutions seem to be relying on VLAN trunking.

Wow!  I didn't know people were still using these.  We moved off of
these a few years ago and migrated to Nokia IP 650's at the time with 20
(physical) interfaces per box.  It seemed to be a good fit.

] > I'm not comfortable with the idea yet, but I wasn't comfortable with

] > the Xylan switches in the beginning, either. I'd like to think I'm
too
] > paranoid, but then, that's my job...

Yeah, firewalling on these switches doesn't perform very well.  We were
only getting about 5MB firewall throughput with our configurations and
large rulesets.

Cheers,
-- steve