Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Setting up H323 IP telephony etc - was Re: [fw-wiz] Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:46:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Y'know, I think I must just be "retro" but I think there's no how, no way
that netmeeting has any business entering or exiting a mission-critical
network. I.e..: if it's worth firewalling, it's best to not allow this kind of

I've always found it odd that people who'd have to get off their butts and
go to a conference room to have an in-person meeting have so many issues
with getting off their butts and going to a PC that's allowed to do
"unsafe" stuff...

Sorry - I'm feeling extremely curmudgeonly today. In my inbox I had
*5* reports of mission-critical networks that were taken down by
various worms in the last week. Why's that? On the surface, the
answer is "RPC bug" but the REAL answer is "people should not
be connecting mission-critical networks to the Internet - even with
firewalls."   A small handful of us have been singing this song quietly
in the corner for about 12 years, now. Is anyone going to ever "get it"??

Nope, that's why it's a drinking song.  I need a Guinness.

Paul