Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Setting up H323 IP telephony etc - was Re: [fw-wiz] Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:18:14 -0400

Y'know, I think I must just be "retro" but I think there's no how, no way
that netmeeting has any business entering or exiting a mission-critical
network. I.e..: if it's worth firewalling, it's best to not allow this kind of
stuff at all.

The first problem (not with Marcus's comments, but with the user request is that it *sounds* like a business requirement, but in *reality* is a suggested *solution*. I am saying, "I need NetMeeting," should be answered in a nice way with, "No you don't. What do you *really* need." Then explain it is your job and the IT folks job to come up with solutions. It makes you nervous when they try to do YOUR job. You're not trying to do THEIR job are you? Then help them formulate a requirement. Do they need "whiteboarding?" "Oh, Yeah! YEAH!" "Down boy," you say. "Do you NEED IT?" Do you need to share files? Audio conference? Etc.?

If it turns out they actually NEED NetMeeting, you know and I know the security analysis will cause you to tell them, "You can have full-fledged NetMeeting, but not at your desktop. Or you can have much, much less, but you can stay in your cube." If they pick #1, you stick a machine outside the perimeter, you scrub it between uses, and you make them go to the conference room in which it sits and use it. I know, I'm dreaming. But try it...

Sorry - I'm feeling extremely curmudgeonly today.

Because you've passed the magic 40 benchmark.

... but the REAL answer is "people should not
be connecting mission-critical networks to the Internet - even with
firewalls."   A small handful of us have been singing this song quietly
in the corner for about 12 years, now. Is anyone going to ever "get it"??

Ah... Easy question. No. :-)