Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Rules for mailserver which is in internet zone ??

From: jseymour () LinxNet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:29:08 -0500 (EST)

Dilip M <dilipm () bristolindia com> wrote:

Hi,

Consider that my mail machine is in internet zone and i do pop directly
 from that machine.
What is a best rules to have on it to be secure??

I'm guessing you mean, by that, that you want to access the machine
from the outside?  Via the Internet?

I would move the POP server to a dedicated machine on a third network.
E.g.:

  'net --- FW --- secure LAN

           | semi-secure 3rd network

          POP
         server

for starters.  That machine would be locked-down, running nothing *but*
popd.  (And smtpd--see following.)

Secondly: You're going to need SMTP access to the same machine, no?
Else how will clients *send* email?  I don't think you want to poke a
hole for SMTP through your firewall to your inside machine, on your
"secure LAN," do you?

Speaking of SMTP: No matter which way you handle that, how will you
handle identification/authentication to make sure clients using your
SMTP server are *yours*, and not a spammer/cracker (attempting to)
abuse it?  SMTP AUTH (along with some IP-based restrictions to at least
broad network ranges, if possible) would be your friend there, I should
think.  Or at least POP-before-SMTP.

This way, if your client email services machine is compromised, all
that's at risk is your 3rd, not-quite-as-secure, network, rather than
your secure LAN.

Speaking of compromise: On the client email services machine, I'd use a
set of services that allowed me to create client email services that
didn't require local user accounts, such as the Cyrus IMAP server
suite, perhaps.

--
Jim Seymour                | Spammers sue anti-spammers:
jseymour () LinxNet com       |     http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/spam/slapp.php