Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DHCP in a corporate MS environment - Security Risk?

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:50:44 -0600

In my experience, whatever security might have been gained by going with
100% static addresses (and I think this is a very debatable point) was NEVER
worth the hassle and management headache that it created.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind, I have and will continue to use DHCP as much
as I can, provided of course it is technically and logistically feasible. As
for the security and control reasons that you list, DHCP works great for
ACLs when properly implemented with reservations, and as for the database,
the only thing I can think of that one could get is a listing of all the
macs and IP address mappings... but then any time with a sniffer will get
you that anyway.

As for shoring up the service? Back it up regularly. As for the traffic,
again it is negligible. You have bigger fish to fry in this arena than
optimizing DHCP traffic.

HTH

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com