Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: terminal services

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:02:06 -0500

In message <4D163268.59645032.4E9ED121 () netscape net>, natfirewall () netscape net
writes:
Greetings,

I am being asked to open port 3389 on our Corporate firewall and direct incomi
ng traffic on that port to a specific IP on our internal network.  Being the p
aranoid that I am, I do not want to do this but I need better reasons/ammuniti
on other than saying "it would be bad".  I am looking for pointers to informat
ion hopefully in support of my fear of M$ security.  Also,  the more recent th
e information the better.

After Saturday's festivities, you have to ask?

Note -- I'm *not* saying that just because it's Microsoft.  Rather, I'm
pointing out the danger of opening extra holes in your firewall.  Ask
yourself this:  how did Microsoft (and others) get the infection on the
*inside* of its firewall?  The issue isn't just that people inside
didn't patch their machines (though by my analysis, to a first
approximation virtually every machine they own was likely to be
vulnerable); rather, it's that there was a hole.  Mostly likely, there
was more than one hole, but it only took one, given how virulent this
worm was.