Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy Firewalls (was FWTK vs T.REX)

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:40:53 +0300

nuqneH,

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 03:30:08PM +0100, Illes Marton wrote:

Statistics, monitoring, QoS control, granular protocol inspection,
content filtering and more..
I beleive QoS is fine if you use the kernel's builtin QoS.
Contentfiltering and protocol inspection is the task of the appl. proxy.

Who says QoS kernel should be on the firewall box? I mean DSCP marking so
routers may take care of that thing.

I think a good final solution would  use an appropiate packet
filter, and good appl. proxy.

The best of the bread way looks good in some manner, but you shold
consider, that different applications have different quality. With the
single kit you can acceppt same quality. I prefer using, if possible one
kit at the same time. BTW: I use Zorp. :)

If you are looking for open/free _working_ firewall kit, than you can have
FWTK, T.REX, Zorp. (Don't count socks based ones.)

The Zorp GPL tries to provide a working, modern solution for your needs,
which used to be FWTK.

We can agree that FWTK is a bit obsolate, and there isn't any group
maintaining it.

Who says? We do. API is completely different but there are compatibility hooks
that allow any fwtk-compatible proxy to build and run, though it will not
use Generation 2 API advantages like seeing what happens just when you
type "ps", QoS support i noted and other fancy things.

T.REX is a collection of proxyes, offten with poor quality
implementations.

I agree.

FWTK                              I use now
ftp-gw                            FTP w/pasv origin only, squid for readonly

still looking for suitable replacement, will probably rewrite
Zorp has a builtin FTP proxy. Supporting passv, active connections.

http-gw                   squid, chrooted on a separate box

what about html filtering? squid-gw is the way.
HTTP proxy, able to do content filtering, and many more tricks.

plug-gw                   ssltunnel, plug-gw

sslified plug-gw
We have plug proxy, and ssl proxy (capable to stack other proxy in) So you
can run HTTPS, with HTTP level content filtering :) Nice feature.

Yep, we don't do MITM ssl yet. But we plan someday. There are certificate
management issues..

Plug proxy is able to handle not just tcp, but udp as well. It's able to
handle udp one side, tcp other side traffic.

Trivial to implement, but i've never seen protocols that can work this way ;)

dns                               bind, chrooted (finally)
Seams reasonable. Personly I don't like djbdns.

Why? djbdns as name server may be PITA but dnscache is just fine.

pop3, nntp, cvs, rsh, lpd, tds etc proxies?
Zorp has in addition: finger, whois (the two most important one :)),

We have those too.

telnet.

The commercial version has
more(pop3,imap,nntp,lpd,radius,tftp,sqlnet,etc.)

You can download zorp source or binary (debian/woody i386) from
www.balabit.hu, or you can find it in debian/sid

I know. Actually i find Zorp to be excellent thing, i just chose a bit
different way we like more ;-).

--