Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dynamic service port

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:57:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 Norman Zhang wrote:

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:25:17 -0700
From: Norman Zhang <nzhang () arkon-group com>
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: [fw-wiz] dynamic service port

Hi,

Symantec Corporate Edition 8 generates RTVSCAN (source port 2967) broadcast
to the network. I would like to drop packets that hit the firewall so my log
won't get polluted. However RTVSCAN will use a dynamic service port if
static service port fails. How do I get NG to drop the packets before fw?

I'm not a Checkpont person, but when I tend to design corporate firewalls,
I like to have a layer 3 device (router) in between my firewall and things
on either side of it.

Generally, this device is a 2 or 3 interface router, stoppping layer 2
attacks against the gateway, providing an additional filtering component,
and stopping both broadcast and multicast traffic from hitting the
gateway.  Occasionally, it's a multi-NIC Unix box.  These days, I'd look
at having QoS on it in either case.

Paul