Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT: Av and Gartner...

From: "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee () mediaodyssey com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:38:45 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Keeton" <jkeeton () nettoxin net>
To: <firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:09 PM
Subject: [fw-wiz] OT: Av and Gartner...

Slightly OT here.

In corporate land, where does everyone have AV installed? Currently, we
have desktop, NT servers, and email gateway. I am thinking that we need
http/ftp scanning via ICAP from our proxy, but Gartner[1] says http/ftp
scanning is uneeded. I don't know if I agree.. -OR- Are people installing
malicious code detection software, like www.finjan.com??

Also, anyone have any experiance with Garner regarding security items? This
AV answer, joined with their latest magic quad. for firewalls and ids is
just plain scary. I don't know if I even want to put an ounce of faith in
them anymore.

Never understood running AV on servers.  How would they get infected?  Very
little, if any, browser use is permitted on our servers and no email clients
are ever run on them.  Now, if we're talking about servers in a DMZ, such as
web servers, compromises are always a possibility, but very few of those would
be caught by an AV.