Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT: Av and Gartner...

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:08:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Jim McAtee wrote:

Never understood running AV on servers.  How would they get infected?  Very
little, if any, browser use is permitted on our servers and no email clients
are ever run on them.  Now, if we're talking about servers in a DMZ, such as

Obviously, it depends on the type of server, however (a) Administrators
will occasionally pop up a browser when researching a problem.  (b) SQL
Slammer, NIMDA and Code Red should give enough history of server issues to
make installing AV worth-while on MS platforms.  (c) If end-users connect
to them, then having professionally managed AV can stop things like laptop
infections from un-updated machines coming inside.

Paul