Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: websiite log transfers from exposed to internal nets:

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:41:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, R. DuFresne wrote:

Folks,

I have a number of windoows/NT based systems that are in an exposed DMZ
that need  to transfer rotated logs to an internal unix system forlog
analysis.  My recommendation is to have the internal unix system pull
those logs from the exposed subnet via rsync/sshd <would require cgywin
besides licesngin of sshd for a windows  platform>.  Of course, the
windows folks are ballking at this due to haivng to to setup the
applications/deamons and all that, let alone licesning sshd for their
platform.  I see the pull coming from the inside as being the best way to
control the transaction in a secure manner rather then punching a hole for
their systems to push <via plain old ftp> to the inside.  But, perhaps I'm
seeing things in a tunnel.  Is my view lopsided or skewd and dooes anyone
know of a way to accomplish this chore with something more standard then
sshd/rsync between these two platforms?

I don't know about more standard, but if all you're looking for is an
encrypted tunnel, SSLtunnel would probably be about as good as using SSH,
and not require additional licensing.

The alternative would be to have the *doze boxes log to a *nix server in
the DMZ, then do rsynch/ssh from in to that box- depending on the
operational structure, that could be more advantageous.

Paul