Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Soap - Was RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: "Dick Brooks" <dick () tech-comm com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:46:14 -0700

And people say security folks have no sense of humor...

Seriously, SOAP 1.1 [1] doesn't specify any security functions, but instead
relies on the underlying "carrier", in this case HTTP(S), to provide access
control (basic authentication) and transport level confidentiality (SSL).

If you are using SOAP with Attachments [2] then you can also sign/encrypt
your business data using PGP or S/MIME. It's also possible to stuff a S/MIME
or PGP encrypted/signed document into a SOAP body element, but this requires
"special" handling using base64 and can get quite ugly.

The bottom line, IMO, security functions can be added to SOAP 1.1, but SOAP
itself doesn't define specific security characteristics. Interoperability is
another challenge when you combine security functions with SOAP.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments

Regards,

Dick Brooks