Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Soap - Was RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: Mason Schmitt <hr824 () sunwave net>
Date: 01 May 2003 13:39:43 -0700

What I'm curious about is whether the members of this list have any
concerns with soap as a method of doing RPC and whether there are any
firewall concerns.

Our firewall is a mandrake box using iptables and we have very tight
rules (I hope), to and from our servers, as far as restricting
connections by IP and MAC as well as turning on the kernel IP spoofing
measures.

At my work place (small cable ISP) we have been doing some work to
automate some common tasks, such as email account (add/edit/delete) and
personal web space creation, in such a way that either our customers or
level 1 tech support can use a web interface to do the work.  Our
programmer has been working on soap services to accomplish this (all
linux servers btw, we aren't using MS soap).

Basically, in the case of staff on the LAN (customers are a different
case that I won't get into) the intranet web interface has soap connect
to our mail server (through our LAN fw) and manipulates an object on the
server that makes the necessary changes.

Any of your thoughts on soap would be much appreciated.

Mason