Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Rationale for BSD (I)PF rule order?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 21:08:26 +0200

Holger Kipp wrote:

For me it is easier to create a treelike strukture of rules using head and
group and going from coarse to fine grained rules. With linear rules (first match),
ordering of rules is more important, and with 20+ rules you get problems with
side effects (rule 20 is never evaluated because rule 8 will fire first.

Please.. I'm missing something. I feel I really must be missing
something, because this is not making sense to me.

Would someone _please_ tell me _how_ this differs from a last-match
ruleset where rule 1 never does anything because rule 8 always
overrides it?  Except for the first-match ruleset reaching the
same wrong conclusion faster, that is?

The way I see it, ordering is precisely as important in both cases.
And you could even optimize a last-match ruleset lookup by making
it lookup backwards and stop as soon as a rule triggers.

Granted, mixed-mode lookups (i.e. using the "quick" keyword in a few
places) could potentially get you out of trouble caused by a badly
structured ruleset.  But mixing in too much of this, with a worst-case
fustercluck of 50%/50% quick/non-quick, just strikes me as a disaster
waiting to happen; especially so in a multiple-admin situation.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden