Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Win 2003 and PiX

From: "Iannaccone, Al" <Al.Iannaccone () occ treas gov>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:47:56 -0400

Hello;

This is something I found on Bugtraq... has anyone else seen this? Thanks.
This is another sysadmin discussing...

----====SNIP====----

We recently upgraded our DNS servers to Win 2003.  After this time, it
became apparent that we are unable to send email to some domains which
had been working fine before.

After much investigation as to why it "suddenly" stopped working, we
determined that Win 2003 requests everything but the kitchen cupboard in
its DNS requests,  apparently using RFC 2671 to specify the ability to
accept >512 byte UDP replies.

We are running the latest version (6.3.1) on our Cisco PIX and it
appears that there is hard limit of 512 bytes on ANY UDP packets
arriving on port 53.  Everything exceeding that is dropped.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Disclaimer: Don't take anything here as advice.

Al