Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Win 2003 and PiX

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 20:03:15 -0400

Yes. The Cisco PIX has ... "interesting" ... support for DNS (and any number of other protocols). One must do at least one of the following:

- Use a different firewall (the option I recommend, if politics and budgets allow) - Convince Cisco to fix it, and run the code that does so (good luck, since it's a "feature request") - Turn off DNS fixups on the PIX (make sure you're not using their DNS response rewriting features) - Turn off large DNS replies support on your DNS servers (and make sure you allow DNS over TCP, as many queries will have to be re-sent)