Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World

From: Jian Zhen <jlz () zhen org>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:53:38 -0800

Marcus J. Ranum (mjr () ranum com) [041212 19:16]:
You mean garbage like those things that let you automatically flip
powerpoints for a remote user to present a talk? Garbage that has
become popular because sales reps and marketing weenies are
apparently too stupid to tell their meeting attendees, "next slide,
please..." as they pause to collect their thoughts?   Yeah, we need
that garbage in order to do business. Not.

How bout garbage like those things that let you run a full demo of your
product w/o leaving your seat? or garbage that let you do Q&A or polling
directly in the web cast? or garbage that let you share an application
from your desktop and even let the customer drive it to get a feel of
the product?

While I agree that it sucks most of these web sharing applications only
run on Windows/IE, these applications do help companies save thousands
of dollars. Imagine having to fly to a customer site everytime you need
to do a demo.

Most of the webconference software out there does not work with anything other than IE/Windows.

Actually, I have not had any problem running WebEx or Raindance on my Mac PB12.

Then don't use it. It won't hurt you. Honestly. I have clients who want to

Respectfully disagree. It can hurt your bottom line.

It's not just a ppt flipping software. :)

As Sun Tzu said, "when you are dealing with motherf*ckers
who make endless excuses - cut the first one's head off,
and the excuses will suddenly stop."

As Sun Tzu said, "If you want to win the war, you have to put yourself
in a non-losing position."

I agree w/ what you said earlier, coying everything from Windows
into Linux is a sure way to lose, as you are not creating your
own unique advantage. Basically Linux is NOT putting itself in a
non-losing position for the desktops.

Btw, I don't think Sun Tzu said your quote up there. :)

--
Jian Zhen <jlz () zhen org>
Blog: http://www.trustpath.com/logmatters