Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: More Syslog Questions

From: Brian Hatch <bri () ifokr org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:25:40 -0700

On Linux, the chattr command on ext2/3 filesystems is useful. From man
chattr
      A file with the `a' attribute set  can  only  be  open  in
      append  mode for writing.  Only the superuser or a process
      pessessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can  set  or
      clear this attribute.

Is this Linux specific, or did the BSD guys change this, too? The original
idea of immutable files was that they were, uh, um, immutable. Making
them "immutable except by root" is stupid - that's the same as saying
chown root file && chmod 700 file

They're immutable, even by root.  However, root can remove the
immutable bit.  IE

  chattr +a /path/to/file            # makes it immutable
  echo something >>/path/to/file     # fails - file is immutable

  chattr -a /path/to/file
  echo something >>/path/to/file     # works - file no longer immutable.

To keep root from re-running the chattr command, you need to have
CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE unavailable, either by removing it from the
capability bounding set, or using a Linux security patch that does
the same thing effectivly.  (SELinux, Lids, GrSecurity, etc.)

--
Brian Hatch                  "Well, you know how I feel about telepaths.
   Systems and               "Do I ever. You threw one out of a third