Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

More Syslog Questions

From: "Nathaniel Hall" <halln () otc edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:10:46 -0500

The only problem I have with chattr +a is that if an intruder gains access
to the root account, they can change the attributes, change the log files,
and the replace the append only attribute, making it appear that nothing was
done to the log file.

Since I started this post, I believe we came up with another solution, but I
would still like your opinion.  Here it goes...

Server 1 is connected to the main network.  Server 2 is connected to Server
1 using a cross over cable.  Server 2 listens in promiscuous mode.
Physically the servers are secure and the only way to access Server 2 is
through KVM over IP.

Server 1 receives all syslog messages and (using IPTables with DNAT) sends
the messages to any IP address since Server 2 is listening in promiscuous
mode it should pick up all of the messages.  This does not allow anybody to
compromise Server 1 and gain access to Server 2.

How does that sound?

Nathaniel Hall
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician

Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking
417-799-0552