Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Margles Singleton" <margles_s () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:50:31 -0500

Unless - I believe until - security can be packaged in a black box, there will not be tremendous gains in security. My reasoning? Black boxes are those technologies that we have faith in working without knowing why: microwaves, cars, and TV sets are all examples. A NASCAR team will know the fine details of tuning a car, but the Great Unwashed will not: they will simply turn the key and go - and this is how it should be - and I believe in future it will be like that for security as well.

True. To an extent it is already. Lots of things that used to take a great deal of expert handiwork are already available in sheetmetal boxes.

Why trust sheetmetal boxes?

1 - don't.

2 - trust your ability to make informed choices on what sort of trust to put into each piece of your defenses.

3 - if you take the effort and responsibility to be informed, you can determine which sheetmetal boxes are being produced by folks who are following Darwinistic Success Paths and use such boxes in your defense structure.

You shouldn't have to mine the ore and grind the gunpowder yourself, but a reliable MK 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System sure can come in handy from time to time...

YES!!!! .....i suspect this is why i tend to avoid gui's as well - at least when i'm in "learning phase". blind trust is never a good idea...

Still, I think playing with the boxes and arranging them against bad guys will be fun for a while yet. There's still a lot of brand new thinking to do.

What Brian and many others are saying remains true - there's a lot of work to be done and no time for lolly-gagging around. I just have exceptional trust in individual's aggregate ability to seek success.

i think this is called the Muddle Theory of Optimism, and yeppers, absolutely. it's just that if one dwells on the too-big picture, pessimism and dismay may set in....

enjoy!!/mas