Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: (no subject)

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:15:38 -0500

If all you want is a syslog server and and the ability to open large log
files in a Win32 environment, look into Kiwi Syslog Server.  There is a
version that runs as a service, and it has a seperate logfile viewer
that will open large files.  Kiwi is easily the most flexible syslog
server available, and it's dirt cheap.  (http://www.kiwisyslog.com/)  I
have deployed it in conjunction with traditional firewall analysis tools
that have their own syslog server just because Kiwi is that much more
flexible.

Beyond that, 400MB is a decent size for a 24hr PIX logfile.  You may
want to consider looking into a firewall analysis tool to help you get a
better look at what's actually going on.  For this, I personally prefer
(and often recommend to customers) eIQ FirewallAnalyzer or
FirewallAnalyzer Enterprise. (http://www.eiqnetworks.com)

PaulM

ObDisclaimer:  The views above are my personal opinion and not
necessarily those of my employer, my maker, my wife, or anyone else to
whom I am beholden, blah-blah-blah.  My employer is a reseller of eIQ
products, but I would and do recommend FA/FAE regardless.  Don't believe
me?  Don't believe me.  Both eIQ products and Kiwi have free trial
downloads so you can see for yourself.