Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster <Paul.Foster () dmtsystems net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:44:18 +1000

I personally feel that this form of boycott is a really bad idea.

Individuals such as Abagnale and Mitnick have done the time for their crimes, why do we continue to persecute them? I'd argue that this type of condemnation is immoral and unethical, they must be given the chance to engage and positively contribute to society.

I would expect security professionals to be especially practical about the matter. If released felons cannot use their existing skills within the law, what can we expect them to do? It is harder to reskill, so there is a significant likelihood of them reoffending. That outcome is counter-productive to security.

These individuals took the wrong path and paid the price. Let's learn from them, both practically and about the factors that motivated them to cross the line. Hopefully we can convince others to use their skill productively rather than becoming 'the enemy'.

-PF

Message: 3