Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:27:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Greg Skouby wrote:

That doesn't do justice to the victims, nor does it send the right message
IMO.  Crime should not pay.

Is he profiting from his crime(s) or from his *knowledge* that allowed him to commit the crime(s)?
I don't know how I feel about this particular issue but I think there is a fine line between
your assertion and what the answer is to the question I pose.

Both.  The knowledge was what he used to commit them, and the notoriety of
their criminal activity is what landed the movie deal, and likely the attention of
some PR flack at CMP.

Hollywood's glorification of bad guys for ENTERTAINMENT and the security
industry's use of bad guys in the PROFESSION shouldn't be mixed.  We need
trust, and we shouldn't give it to folks who abuse trust.  At what point
do you trust what you're being told by a convicted trickster?

Paul