Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a wireless network

From: Andras Kis-Szabo <kisza () securityaudit hu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:50:51 +0200

Hi,

At my so-called place of business, there exists a completely insecure public wireless network that I wish to lock down
(ignoring WEP, Radius, and other wireless security methods).
Check the next product:
AirFortress @ http://www.fortresstech.com/

I am looking for a means of forcing 'unverified' clients (by MAC address?; not at all worried about spoofing) to run a script or program of some sort
before being able to interface with other network devices (to scan for viruses, check software configuration, and whatever else).  The best bet at the moment
seems to include VLAN's and some sort of destination NAT to a generic web server that says "hey, run this!", but I'm having trouble finding
literature on the subject.  Partly because I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.
For this enforcement
        user offline - some minimal protection
        online  - rstricted access, only to VPN
        VPN - logon
        in VPN - access to the Enterprise
and the client must be up2date, have to run scripts, restricted access until he does not run the script:
use the Integrity Secure Cleint from Check Point.
The key part of it the Integrity personal firewall which will enforce the enforcement policies, online/offline/VPN/personal rulesets and it can be integrated with gateways. (example: he has to use EAP to network access and when the Integrity is out-of-compliance the server can deauthorize the client at the EAP server, too. It is useful when someone comes into the Enterprise w/ a laptop and plugs it into an empty slot. He won't be able to communicate.)

- Backbone: Cisco Catalyst 6509 multilayer switch
- Closets: various models of manged Catalyst switches running an enterprise IOS version
- Access Points: Cisco Aironet AP350's and 1120's
This system can work together w/ AirFortress.
(For the clients: the Integrity will be enough since you do not need the ISC.)

Best regards,

Andras

--
    Andras Kis-Szabo       Security Development, Design and Audit