Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Locking down public wireless access

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:55:22 -0500 (EST)

Chris Bills <billschr () gmail com> wrote:

[snip]

ideally, we would like to implement a system in which the user will
connect to un-encrypted wireless, but any attempts to get out will be
redirected to the authentication page. Once the user logs in, they
will be given the WEP key of the day, and then they will have
unrestricted access.

WEP is not secure.  WEP keys can be broken in as little as minutes,
given sufficient traffic volume.  Use WPA or WPA2.

I'm investigating the usage of Linksys WRT45G routers, with a modified
firmware, but I have no actual experience with this.
[snip]

The "stock" WRT54G firmware can do WPA-RADIUS, IIRC.  I believe this is
what you want.  WPA-PSK would be a PITA in your environment.
Particularly if you'll have more than one AP.

If you have any suggestions for hardware, or existing documentation
floating on the net about how to achieve this sort of setup, please
let me know.

Here's a previous firewall-wizards reply:

    http://seclists.org/lists/firewall-wizards/2004/Dec/0140.html

Here's a link to the LinkSys WRT54G product page, whence you can fetch
the user's manual:

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=601&scid=35

At home I'm using a WRT54G with WPA-PSK.  At work the experimental
wireless network is using a NetGear FWAG114 with WPA-PSK.  I'll be
converting the home WLAN to WPA-RADIUS in preparation for doing the
same at work.

Jim